Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Lots to catch up on

Where to begin?  I last told you that some of my tumors came back on my spine, I've since found out that they also came back in my abdomen and the one on my lung was a little more visible too. What happened? We probably should have kept treatment going a little longer last year. I should have probably done the cannabis oil program in the exact timeframe it was meant to be.  We're learning so we didn't (more to come later on this)

But we didn't. So here we are. What's next?

I stay the course. I'm still on the same chemo regimen which is Gemzar on Day 1, 8, 15 with one week off.

I get an Xgeva shot for my bones once a month and in place of the tamoxifen, I tried something different to chemically shut down my ovaries so they stop producing estrogen so it doesn't fuel my tumors.  See my cancer is ER (estrogen receptor) positive and my tumors just LOVE estrogen.  This is also part of why they came back. You really need that balance of the chemo along with the blocking of the estrogen in order to tackle these bastards.

A little more on Xgeva:
XGEVA® (denosumab) is an FDA-approved prescription medicine used to prevent serious bone problems in patients with bone metastases from solid tumors.* Serious bone problems are:
  • Broken bones (fractures)
  • Surgery to bone
  • A need for radiation treatments
  • Pressure on the spinal cord (spinal cord compression)







Let's talk about Lupron.  This is the injection that I get once every 3 months to keep those ovaries of mine from pumping estrogen. Well, I gotta say, this stuff sucks. I am having the same side effects that I had on tamoxifen. The hot flashes start the minute I wake up and worsen throughout the day. My bedtime I am normally wrapped in a towel naked just so I don't have to go through 3 changes in the night.  Oh right, let's talk about sleep - about 4-5 nights per week I wake up in what feels like being in a swimming pool in your clothes. Sounds lovely, doesn't it? Well it's horrible and not normal and not how I planned on spending my time sleeping, when I am trying to "heal" my body from this disease.

I had chemo yesterday and advised my nurse Karen to call up to Dr. C. to tell him I didn't want to take it anymore and to start looking around for another option.  He called back and said NO. He wanted me to take the Lupron.  So, we kind of got in a fight about it without even talking. Funny huh? Not really. So I gave in, but under one condition - that I take a lesser dose and not the 3 month shot. They have lesser dosages if you take it monthly. I don't particularly like the idea of having a needle in my ass once a month but if it helps the side effects, then I'm game. Time will tell.....

So that's the traditional medicine side of my life. I have a lot going on with the alternative and complementary side of my care as well.  The more I learn, the more I am sure that this plan to combine both, are what will possibly cure my incurable cancer.


For those that don't know already, I took an early "retirement" from Fairmont Bermuda.  I couldn't fool myself any longer that I could keep up the pace and the travel stresses of the job and I had to draw a line in the sand if I knew I wanted to get better and totally focus 100% on my health.

This was probably one of THE hardest decisions in my life.  I live and breathe Bermuda and the Fairmont family has been part of my life since before they were even Fairmont.  I go way back to the 80s with my hotels, when they were Princess Hotels.  It's been such a part of me and the last 5 years as Director of Leisure Sales have been some of the most challenging but rewarding and fun years of my life.

Since this update is so long as it is, I will hold off on the rest.  I have lots more to share. Exciting studies on MMJ and Cannabis Oil and what it can do for many, many, many, chronic diseases.  I am so fortunate to have been led down this road as I've learned a ton that I believe in my heart can cure cancer.

Hugs and love to all for your everlasting support!
Tracy








No comments: