Friday, December 29, 2006

Getting mentally prepared.....

There really hasn't been a lot to report as far as my health is concerned. I've been using this time to get myself mentally and emotionally prepared for next week. I am scheduled for surgery on Wednesday to get the port inserted. I met with my doctor the other day who explained the procedure and assured me that I wouldn't feel a thing or remember a thing. Sounds good to me. To be honest, I am not that nervous about that anymore. I am more afraid of the chemo on Thursday as I am not 100% sure what to expect. I'm quite sure that these are all normal feelings.

Basically the port itself is just about the size of a quarter and attached to it is the catheter that will be inserted and attached to my vein. It'll sit just under my collarbone and will be a god send in the long run. There is no way that I could go through 16 weeks of grueling intravenous poking and hours of treatments like that. I was so afraid of it at first, but after reading and hearing real people's stories, it is so the way to go!

As an update to my initial surgery, it's been 6 weeks (yesterday). I feel so much better and can do a lot more now with my arms. Of course, I am pretty sure that I shouldn't have mopped the entire kitchen and bathroom floors this morning. I am sure paying for that now! Please be assured that I didn't do it because Jeff wouldn't - he has been incredible! I was simply looking for something a little physical to do as I have been going out of my mind. Even though I was so proud of myself that I was able to get it done, it probably wasn't the best choice!! Live and learn I suppose.

I don't want to bore everyone with the details of my recovery but I did want to give an update as to where I go from here. I am at a pretty good place mentally right now, but like I said, it's the unknown that makes me crazy. A week from today I'll have one treatment under my belt and I'll just take it one day at a time from there.


1 comment:

msazzie said...

Hi Tracy,

I hope chemo day # 1 went ok. You are in my thoughts

xo
Judy