Thursday, April 26, 2007

I did it!!!!
This is what the pin says that I was given by the nurses today when I finished my last of 8 chemo treatments! I got hugs from every oncology nurse in the place when we left. They even hugged Jeff and told him what a fantastic support person he has been for me. They sure got that right. I couldn't have done it without him by my side! He's a gift from god!!

A complete wave of emotion came over me this morning when I walked into the building. Tears instantly welled up in my eyes. I was so excited to have my last treatment, but it was so incredibly emotional. I cried a lot today but I made it. I got through 8 agonizing treatments and all the horrible side effects that go along with it. I feel stronger, and more educated, and I'm ready to help educate anyone that isn't aware of how easy and important it is to get a mammogram. It's the first step in detecting early stage cancer. Breast cancer invades the lives of 1 in 8 women. Think about that the next time you go out for dinner or drinks with a bunch of girlfriends. Look around, one of you may be that 1 in 8 in your group of friends. I am not trying to scare anyone, I am simply trying to say that I never thought I would be the 1 in 8 in my various groups of friends. It stinks. I was diagnosed with early Stage II invasive cancer in both of my breasts. We were trying to get pregnant and instead, I got cancer. I skipped my bi-annual mammogram the year before last because as some of you know, we lost a baby at 19 weeks. That was the same month that I should have had my mammogram. Maybe I had cancer then, who knows. But I do know how lucky I was to have picked up on this when I did. I made it through, and I hope and pray that I am now cancer free. I don't really know. But I will move on with my life and think positively that the chemo kicked it's butt!

1 comment:

Hi my name is Jen, whats yours? said...

Congrats Tracy!!!
You did it. I hope you kicked Cancers ass so hard it never comes back.

You are a strong women and I know you will share your lifes lesson to help so many people.
Love,
Jen Santry