Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Thank Goodness, the drains are gone!

Ok, I promise I won't go into detail because it even makes me queasy but...today, the doctor took out the drains that have basically held me hostage since the surgery. I can honestly say that this was one of the worst parts of the whole thing so far. I cannot even begin to describe how much better I look and feel with those things out of my life! I had to wear this cotton vest that was specially made to hold these drainage bulbs in place. I felt like Linda Hamilton in The Terminator with that thing on, except my grenades were drainage bulbs, gross!

Oddly enough, Jeff says he misses them. He was in charge of draining them each morning and night, and charting the results for the doctor. He also had to change my bandages every day. He is a real trooper! He has complained, NOT ONCE about any of these duties that have been thrown at him. We actually have had fun with the whole thing if you can believe it. If you've met my husband, not only do you know what a fantastic person he is, but you also know what a nut he is. He's a drummer and he definitely does beat to a different drum. He makes me laugh so hard during some of these times that I literally have to bend over and hold everything so it doesn't hurt as much when I laugh!

If any of you watch Grey's Anatomy then you are familiar with Dr's McDreamy and McSteamy. I am married to doctor McDrainy :)

As I type this, we are getting a good laugh out of it. Although that could be the narcotics for me, not sure about him. Just kidding, actually I am almost completely off the pain medications. The mornings are the absolute worst time when I feel like I cannot move a bone in my body. My next trick is to really work on the mobility in my arms. It'll be great to be able to pick things up and move my arms over my head again!

Ok, this update got a little long and probably a bit boring! Sorry everyone. Let me end by wishing everyone an absolutely incredible Thanksgiving. I know that we all have a TON to be thankful for but here is my list:

I am extremely thankful for my wonderful husband and beautiful children, my 3 sets of parents and siblings and extended families, my new home in peaceful Pelham, NH, my fantastic job including some of the best colleagues that I have ever had the pleasure of working with, all of my precious friendships here and across the Atlantic, and all of my friends in the Travel Industry that I have had the honor of knowing and working with for over 23 years! I have it all and and I could ask for nothing more. (Ok, one thing - a clean pathology report which should be here any day)

A heartfelt wish for a wonderful Thanksgiving go out to all of you and your families!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Tracy,
Today is Thanksgiving and I just wanted to reach out to you and your family and say "HI" and speedy recovery. I know you will hit this disease hard with everything you've got. It's great reading about your support system; what a team!! On Thanksgiving Day, it sure reminds me that this is what life is about, having a family to help pull us through. What a blessing! Take care and please be sure to take your time healing.
Peace,
Karen Smith

Noelle said...

Tracy,
Sounds like you are getting a little bit stronger each day :) Keep it up. HAPPY THANKSGIVING! XOXO
Noelle